Monday 9 September 2013

THE LBS MBA EXPERIENCE

Welcome to LBS
Where do I start from?
Like most of you (and my other colleagues), I heard many horrifying stories about how you will have no social life, many sleepless nights and many other such stories. Then brush up started and I kept asking myself when that time will come (Yes, overconfidence was worrying me). When it started, I wanted to drop out, but the sunk cost kept me going.

My humble self, Moyo Awopegba
  
This isn’t to scare you or anything, but darling, the time will surely come.

There’s so much to say but I will “keep it short and simple” (in Dr. Owolabi’s voice).

The choice to come to LBS, as you will find out soon enough, is one of the best decisions you have ever made.

LBS: Never get carried away by the ambience of the school (Owolabi’s voice yet again). LBS is essentially what you make of it. You will be given equal opportunities but what you get out of it lies in your hands (you will be asked the “Why you are here” question severally).

Displaying that “learning has taken place”
 
The people (staff and colleagues): The staff, hmm...I am certain by now you will have been initiated to the “ENJOYment”. You have some of the most qualified and highly connected facilitators, try to make friends
 with them and ensure they don’t ask you...“how do you sound?” (in Salami’s voice). Note that some of them may appear very “not-nice”, its all a charade.
When I came to LBS, I thought to myself that I must be a smartass to “meet the cut”, but you will soon realise that you have even smarter colleagues and a lot to learn (especially from helping others).

ABC Conference: with the accounting gurus Jumoke and Enoor

The binders: I don’t have much to say on this, especially as I hated them so. Study the necessary and internalise the ones you have read...so that learning can take place.

The grooving: DO NOT miss out on this part. Trust me this is really were the bonding happens. I made some friend (Mayowa, especially) here. Let your hair down, cause all work and no play...can run you mad... MBA is for the living, I cannot kill myself.

With Eze Bobo
You: Above all, Know thyself...cause that is what will make the difference. Be guided by what you want to make out of the MBA program. No matter how vague that may sound, it will seperate you from the crowd if you live by it. When the time comes, you will understand that part well.

Once again, Welcome!!!
   













Moyosore Awopegba
MBA 11
President, SME Logic





No comments:

Post a Comment