Wednesday 12 September 2012

'Bobo' is not enough...and Chukwuka tells us why


Chukwuka Nwagbara with his 'thinking hand' up
If you look at this picture you will immediately conclude that this boy is the next Soludo; an Economics guru. Well, you’re wrong. I’m an engineer turned business man with a lot of information in my head. You should meet me.

I came to LBS having run 4 different businesses; 2 were dead and buried, 1 was in coma while one was (and is still) surviving. A bit of politics and a bit of technology and a bit of marketing all reflecting in my CV so unlike what many people thought when they met me, I was eager to find myself. If I want to be politically incorrect, I’ll say I was confused. I didn’t know exactly what I wanted. As you will soon find out, business is not just business. It has many functional career paths. In addition, you will also find out that they are all interesting career paths and you will face the dilemma of choosing one of them. 

Chukwuka receiving the Tony Elumelu Award for Business Excellence
My journey to choosing mine started the day I visited Anuli’s office for my career talk. I told her I wanted to go into Private Sector Development (PSD) (having IFC and IMF in mind) or Private Equity (PE). I loved the “bobo” nature of the career and since I believed everything was possible in LBS, I felt it wouldn’t take them anything to sought it out.

Well, I was wrong. As internship drew closer I discovered that all the PSD and PE firms wanted something different from what I had on my CV. They wanted the impossible from me. So every time my CV went in to some of the PSD or PE firms, they dropped it first and chose some other person ahead of me. I was fast enough to leave the wild goose chase and advise myself. “GUY THIS THING IS BASED ON CV REALITY NOT PASSION. And except you build capacity in that direction, that passion will remain what it is; PASSION”

So I sat back and took a critical look at my CV did a little research on where engineers played a major role in businesses and then I re-crafted my CV. Submitted it and got just what I wanted; OFFERS. Top of which were Schneider, P&G, Tony Elumelu Foundation and TATA group.

So my advice to you is that BOBO IS NOT ENOUGH. Look beyond what other people want to do. Look at your CV again and find out where you can add value in the business community. If your passion is strong enough, then you have some work to do take your time to BUILD CAPACITY in the direction of your passion.

Welcome to LBS, where dreams come true. Believe me, you won’t regret being here.

Chukwuka Nwagbara is a full time MBA student of Lagos Business School. He can be reached via email; chukwuka.nwagbara@lbs.net.ng

2 comments: