Friday 7 September 2012

Ozue shares his MBA experience


Ozue Ezeife
June 26th, 2011. I’m kneeling on the crimson rug of my church’s altar. It is a clear and sunny day in the FCT, and it felt like a day God would answer prayers- he always does.  In barely audible tones I whispered into the Almighty’s ears… My request was short but very heavy!

Dear Lord, I know you answer prayers and with you all things are possible… if it is your will, please grant me admission into the MBA programme of the Lagos Business School”
He did!

‘Pictures speak a thousand words’ ~ Thad Enyinna (After so much usage, he has earned the rights to this quote). Below is my letter acknowledging receipt of my admission letter. Please read.


Notice the wording of the letter? ‘Very privileged… and Yes!!Stand out surely. (There’s a big grin on my face as I write this). Needless to say, this was one helluva an excited fella! Sorry, let me rephrase that; I felt BIG… Colossal actually, like a massive Helium balloon. Yes, my name is Ozue Ezeife and this is an abridged chronicle of my LBS experience (so far).
Well, as you would have figured, the only problem with my self-confidence and expectations being at this record high was that it begged; when… and how it should land? Would it be a soft landing or would the bubble burst? I honestly couldn’t have predicted it, but something happen shaa

I laboured to spell the word ‘Accounting’ let alone master its principles; nevertheless it was coming at me with reckless abandon. Obviously, Dr. Akintola Owolabi was having fun, I wasn’t! Please read it again; I wasn’t! As he spoke, I thought to myself ‘O boy, u sure say u suppose dey do MBA?’ Hmm, how person go take manage this kind thing now? Debit, Credit, Balance, Brought forward, carried down, tumbled up… which kind thing be this naa? I was lost… but wasn’t allowed time to get missing. So next thing: ‘Ozue, what do you think?’ Now judge this. As I tried to sensibly respond to his question; I can’t recall what the question was but it could have been ‘how do we tumble up in accounting?’ Half way into my honest attempt at answering this special question, next thing I heard was ‘Please discontinue’. Friends, it wasn’t a soft landing, the bubble burst!
Since then I’ve put myself to work!

Welcome to LBS! You truly are a privileged few in our society but I must warn you- this isn’t a ‘normal’ school- no way! This school gives you a fluid brain and a mind of steel. Put on your whole armour because you all are now fully initiated gladiators. It certainly would be messy at some point. Don’t be shaken by the ‘new’ mode of learning (would be new to most), because once you quickly adapt, you’d find- as I did- that it is very exciting. 

You should work hard as expected of you; of course as you should expect of yourself. Make new friends, invest in new relationships- this for me is the most important of all, because in the end every one of us would have an MBA, but the quality of our relationship with one another would weigh more after the LBS experience. Honestly speaking, I’m very glad I met my colleagues, and I look forward to meeting you. I have made friends with all- some, friends for life! MBA10 simply rocks!

So do I feel privileged still? Yes!! I do, and for good reasons.


I wouldn’t trade my LBS experience for anything in the world! It is a privilege to learn from the best brains in the world. As you’d soon find, the LBA faculty boasts of only the very best brains.

Finally, nothing beats the sumptuous meal you get served to refuel your empty tanks at mid-day. Some have joked that even if one forgets everything he/she learns at the LBS, such person would not forget the food, and the accompanying precious word- enjoy.
Again, welcome to LBS, I look forward to meeting you all.
Toast to success; You made it, Cheers!


Ezeife Ozue C.
Class President, MBA10.

Ozue Ezeife is a full time MBA student of Lagos Business School. A member of the MBA10 class, he can be reached via email; ozue.ezeife@lbs.net.ng

No comments:

Post a Comment