Tuesday 11 September 2012

Uzoma Okoro speaks on THE RIGHT PLACE TO BE…

Uzoma Okoro
“Welcome to LBS!” 

These were the very first words that greeted me from an amiable lady at the main entrance who welcomed me with a loud yet friendly tone. From this unusually kind gesture shown to me to the exquisite structures before my eyes, I thought to myself, “Hey dude, you are surely in the right place!”

It is indeed the right place to hone one’s analytical, problem-solving and communications skills. In addition, with a very robust network, a suitable platform has therefore been provided for students to network extensively with the people that matter as long as the Nigerian business landscape is concerned. It has also given me the opportunity to meet very smart and wonderful people (my colleagues)

Uzoma with Bolarinwa and Rume
With the case-study method of teaching employed, we are not only being exposed to the challenges that both nascent and large businesses face, we are also able to proffer workable solutions, as a class, which directly address these challenges. I am now capable of comprehensively dissecting businesses, cautiously detecting seemingly masked problems and proffering appropriate and practical solutions.

On the other hand, this same case-study approach was hell for me at the start. I mean, here was this quiet and diffident young man compelled in almost all the classes to talk even when he does not feel like. I was left with no choice but to jump in; at least if for anything, to avoid any unnecessary re-sits and re-resits!

The MBA programme is so rich in terms of the course structure as well as its facilitators. With courses such as Corporate Financial Accounting (CFA), Strategic Management (I), Economic Environment of Business (EEB), Operations Management and Finance (I), the technical knowledge I have amassed is tremendous. This has helped me to exude so much confidence during my internship. With first-rate facilitators such as Dr. Owolabi and the ALMIGHTY Doyin Salami (Ph.D), trust me when I say that the fear of being cold-called is the beginning of wisdom! You can only know what I mean when you experience it.

The MBA 10 Squad
On a lighter note, LBS has brought out the footballer in me (perhaps, I don’t know where it came from!). Having to play a full soccer match without fainting or gasping for breath helplessly is a great achievement for me! In addition, bearing the enormous responsibility of ensuring that the ball hits the back of net (you can call me No.9) has taught me how to work well under pressure. When you have the likes of Kunle screaming loud at you on the pitch or Jude giving you this dreadful captain-look, you’d be fired on for sure!

I remember being asked by a friend why I wanted to get an MBA and why in LBS. Of course, after successfully scaling through the rigorous interview process, my ideal answer was still very much within reach. It was chorused from deep within me: I would like to have an MBA so I could be well-informed about the intricacies of the Nigerian business environment and enjoy the robust networking platform it provides. And the big one - I also chose LBS because its global posture is correspondingly blended with its local relevance! (Everyone said this in some way in the interviews, you bet!)

Uzoma with Frank Nweke Jnr and Chukwuka

Perhaps, if you asked me the same question once again, I guess my answer this time would be more crisp and straight to the point. I’d simply say, “IT’S THE RIGHT PLACE TO BE”!


Welcome to LBS!

Uzoma Okoro
MBA 10
President, Finance Club









Uzoma Okoro is a full time MBA student of Lagos Business School and can be reached via email; uzoma.okoro@lbs.net.ng,

No comments:

Post a Comment