Thursday 13 September 2012

'Know Thy Strengths and Deploy Them..' says Toyin Sanwo

Obianuju, Chukwuka and Toyin

I remember Wale Adegboye (Sales Baba) saying in class on the very first day, “the MBA is a 9-year dream for me”.  Well, not that long ago for me; it’s JUST a 6-year dream J.

As a graduate of English whose only assets were an inquisitive mind, a very high appetite for learning and some commendable use of English, my fear ab initio was that I would be submerged in the unfamiliar “numbers terrain”.  Interestingly, I had some friends in the MBA 6 class, and my closest Pal- Stephen Ojji- assured me that I would do well in the seemingly complex finance and statistics classes.


Well, my assets combined with God’s grace were the salvaging factor. I maintained a very open mind and told myself, “Toyin you can do this!”

Well I should share my experience on class participation. What a lot of my class folks don’t know is that Kemi Ogunyemi was the person who got me to give my best shot at class discussions. During her very first class, I made a contribution that earned a ‘not-so-good’ remark, “Toyin, you have to learn to communicate your thoughts better so that you do not lose your audience whilst making a comment.” Those words hit me and this is what I started to do. Before I make my contribution in class, I first articulate my thoughts on paper (at light-speed), sieve for sense, uniqueness and loopholes, and then I NAIL IT!
Gbemi, Chika, Nike, Toyin, Azeezat and Nono
at Kasi's baby shower

And the next tactic? Initially, I used to talk almost every time in class, and one day my Group 5 family said, “TS, you have good summarizing skills- abeg when you talk in class, don’t say all the points; say some and let others have the floor”. Of course we laughed over it, but it occurred to me what had been going on. Well, I wasn’t just talking to get the points, I was talking because I love to talk and can’t seem to shut up when I have a point. My contribution quantum declined, but every time I opened my mouth I made sure I made UTMOST SENSE!

As Chuka said (in another twist), BOBO is not enough. You must learn to draw that weapon with wisdom. Mehn, I had some bobo moments o, but you see, I do it with a swagger (In Dr. Thad Eyinna’s voice). ROTFLMAO! Dr. Salami showed me some pepper sha.
Never underestimate your colleagues. Don’t let your work experience obstruct your learning. The MBA programme is a platform to learn, unlearn and relearn. So keep an open mind and be humble enough to learn from every one.

Toyin and Chukwuka with Aliko Dangote
Another important thing: You have a reputation to build and protect. Whilst it is good to loosen up and mix, and of course be yourself, you want to ensure that you build a good reputation with your classmates and faculty members. Let them know your areas of expertise and strength. I want my colleagues and facilitators to be able to think of me when they need solutions. Let people know what you stand for.

And my favourite colleagues? Everybody in MBA 10. Each person has something I can learn from in terms of knowledge, skills and attitude (KSAs).
Tolu, Seun (MBA 9) and Toyin

And YES, I took all my assignments seriously- of course, Dr. Owolabi taught us to sweat our assets, and N3m is not beans. My approach from day one can be summarized in a Yoruba saying, “Ma lowo mi tan lara aso” (I will use every bit of my money from the cloth). The learning sticks when you DO THOSE ASSIGNMENTS. I think the most transformational assignment for me was the Strategy brief which we implemented working with the Enterprise Development Centre (EDC). It was eye opening and prepared me for my internship with Accenture.

Ahah! Accenture.  I had planned to intern with Accenture even before I was granted the admission the LBS. I kept on confessing it, and even when Anuli said to me, “Accenture does not recruit from LBS”, I said to her, “I don’t know how it’s going to happen, but I am certain I would intern with Accenture.” And yes, I DID. (Although, I grew to love McKinsey & Company in the course of my first year)

Hmm… the painful moments- losing the contest for Presidency of the SME Logic Club to my buddie, Chika Ezeani (a brilliant and respectable colleague). But I learnt from that experience though, and I am one of his greatest supporters. That is life: you win some, and lose some.

Segun, Itunu, Seun, Nono, Gozie, Bola, Tundun, Toyin and Gbemi

My greatest skill: MAKING PRESENTATIONS. I kill the thang, oya ask your mummy!!! My Best team: Group 5 all the way. My Best Facilitator: I lost count- they’re all tight! My Best Moment: Gaining the admission PLUS the other part of that story. My Heavy-weight Trouble Brewer/Sweety: Hernandez. Most “Logical” classmate: Nono. Most Mysterious Classmate: Niyi. Most Bobolicious Colleagues: Chika Boy, Dr Itunu. Sleeping Heavy Weight Champ: Don’t know who to choose between Uka and Rume- their skills are daily refined (LOL).  My favourite crew: My flatmates- Azeezat and Nike. Class Whiz: Of course, Whizkid 1 of LBS. Most Mischievous: Tizzle P and Suberu… mine is an endless list of great peeps.

Look forward to seeing my genii classmates and the MBA 11 folks come October.

Toyin Sanwo is a full time MBA student of Lagos Business School. She can be reached via email; oluwatoyin.sanwo@lbs.net.ng



No comments:

Post a Comment